There's nothing better than enjoying a gentle breeze throughout your home on a warm summer day.
Simple maintenance for your Hide-Away screens. In Florida, the breeze can be euphoric, but it can also bring along unwanted guests indoors if you don't have the proper screening installed. Hide-away screens are the best solution to keep the uninvited out, and the cool, fresh air coming through. These screens can last a very long time, depending on simple at home maintenance that prolongs the life of your hide-away screen. Here you will find a few helpful tips for adding a few years onto the life of the screens in your home!
- When the screen is not in use, such as in the off-season, it is best to keep your screens stored in their protective housing. This keeps the screens safe from the elements, including microscopic ones like dust and various airborne debris.
- If the unit is motorized, keep a close eye on the movement of your screen. Making sure nothing is blocking the path of the screen, and the tracks are properly lubed with a non-petroleum silicone, only. WD-40 IS NOT EVER RECOMMENDED.
- Pay attention to weight bar in particular in these motorized units; if the weight bar fails to drop while the motor is running continuously, stop motor right away. Return to the weight bar and physically pull it down to remove any excess slack in the screen itself BEFORE ROLLING UP!
- Clean your screen! Just like with the motorized versions, you must pay attention to the tracks in the unit and be sure they are clear of any dirt and debris. This could cause an expensive problem down the line if not maintained frequently. The cleaning solution for the mesh of the screen should be a mixture of 1/3 cup mild liquid detergent (such as Dawn dish soap) and 1 gallon of water. If mildew or mold is present, add 1/3 cup of bleach to the mixture.
- Pay attention to the weather. Such as with storing the screens when not in use for long periods of time, it's the same idea with extreme weather. In Florida, warnings of severe weather such as hurricanes can come to a couple of days in advance. This gives plenty of time to store away your screens as not to attain any damage when the storm hits.
- Maintenance neglect and storm damage are not covered by the dealer or manufacturer warranty! It's much better to be safe than sorry and protect your investment to enjoy your cozy summer evenings with all the windows open, and no worry about a sudden swarm of mosquitos invading your living room.
To find the perfect screen for your home, come to visit our beautiful new showroom in Ocala.